
On wednesday, we embark on another leg of our navy journey. We have a meeting to finish allllll of the paperwork and finalize our application for commission. After this it is a wait and pray game. Technically they say it takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months to process the application. We are praying for a quick turn around. This would mean that our plans of moving to Florida in the next two months would go into full effect and that Evan will most likely be there for the birth. We figure that if he doesnt get called to OCS before May, I will just stay out here to have the baby. Here is the essay that both Evan and I worked on together. It was a really neat experience to work as a team to write the essay portion of his application, since our teamwork is vital to success in his navy career! The prompt read in so many words, " In 400 words or less, describe why you want to be commissioned."
" Throughout my life, my father told me stories of our family's military history. These stories of service and patriotism inspired a passionate desire in me to continue this legacy.I enlisted in the U.S. Army and was given the extraordinary opportunity to join the Military Intelligence Corps. While deployed to the Middle East for operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, I was placed into positions where I was able to develop my leadership abilities and began to understand what it was I really wanted to do with my life. I left my initial term of service with a set goal; to complete my education in aviation and return to the military with the knowledge and skills I had acquired.
A primary role of an officer is to lead and make decisions. I believe that understanding the importance of decision making and living with the consequences of those decisions is a key aspect in my ability to be an officer. In my combat experience, if the wrong decision or no decision at all was made with tactful haste, lives were compromised and sometimes lost. This heavily impacted my view on what it took to be capable of making a non-hesitant and competent decision under life threatening circumstances.
While the application of my skills weighs heavy in my reasoning, there are other significant and important reasons for seeking a commission. The opportunity of career and educational development is an amazing attribute that the government offers to those who serve. I intend to optimize that opportunity. It is a way I can provide lasting stability for my family and my future career ambitions, be they civilian or further military service. I seek the structure and fortitude that this institution offers for the safety of my wife and children, so that I may feel secure in providing safety and structure for others. The ability to make a difference in the lives I teach, inspire, protect and serve encourages me to set my standards higher, to a level at which the challenges of an officer become tools to contribute integrity, education and experience.
I believe in the values and ideals our military stands for. Words such as freedom, honor, and duty are more than words to me. I have applied these values to my own life. They are what have kept my family and me so dedicated to those beliefs that withstand the sacrifices it requires to be an officer



That has to be so hard not being able to plan in advance...Hopefully everything will turn out as you want it to :). Florida will be awesome. We spent the last 2 years in Jacksonville and we miss it so much. You can't beat the beaches!
ReplyDelete