
So this is the first time I have experienced any kind of natural disaster other than an earthquake. Ill just say that I don't think Im very good at keeping my cool.
The night started off awesome! It was Bunko night and we had been setting up our tea theme all week and it looked amazing. Bunko is always an amazing time. Such a great group of people, full of love and tons of fun!
About 3/4 of the way through, Kilinoe checked her Facebook and saw that the earthquake had occurred and that a tsunami warning was in effect. From that point on, no one could focus very well. OUr minds were all on getting home and taking care of safety prep. Good news: I won for the most losses! YAY!
After the tea I immediately went out to fill up the car and get extra water and canned goods. I pulled out onto the highway and there was about a 2 mile line to get gas. After about 5 minutes I decided I wanted to at least go and get groceries before water ran out. Everyone who wasn't waiting for gas used the median to drive around. I pulled into the median and into the grocery store parking lot(also the parking lot for the shell gas station) and I was immediately channeled into a gas pump! WHAT!?! I guess that they had been trying to get people to come in both ways and people being the ants we are just wanted to wait in that 2 mile line! I filled up my car and headed to the grocery store. Luckily there wasn't too many people quite yet. In Kauai, once people get home from their day, they RARELY go out again. Its a big deal if they do.
i got 3 cases of water bottles, a 2 gallon size water thingy, tuna, some soup and paper plates. As I headed out to the car and was looking for my keys, i couldn't find them. I immediately felt that sinking feeling. Had I set them down somewhere? After all, my brain was in a million different places (I hadn't been able to get ahold of Evan yet since the phones were all down). I walked out and realized that I had left them in the car...but there was one more thing. I left them in the ignition...and yes, I left the car running. At least I had enough instinct to lock the car. GEESH! This girl's brain was definitely on overload! Thank heavens I was only in the store a little bit and that nothing happened.
I got home at about 11. It had taken about an hour to get gas and groceries. Jackson was sound asleep and Ev was pretty tired. We both stayed up following Fox news and the latest reports. I was freaking out about my car and wanted to park it on higher ground. Thank God for my level headed hubby. He looked at me around midnight and said "I don't think anything is gonna happen baby"... I was so insulted! Why wasn't he taking this seriously?!? Well, because he is always cool as a cucumber even in the hardest situations (reason # 99 why i married this man).
I made some coffee and stayed up...and up and up... I dozed off around 215am and like a kid who has 5 minutes till the school bus, i woke up with a startle. It was 2:45! It was about to hit! The worst thing was the Siren. It was so loud and sounded like those horror movie sirens or world war 2 movie sirens. All i could think about was Silent Hill. That scary movie with ash falling everywhere. NOT a good feeling. Evan had told me to wake him when it came time for it to hit so I went up to get him. He came down and quickly saw that the waves were not as they said they were going to be. So off to bed he went.....again. Thinking that there surely must be something big on its way I stayed tuned in for another hour.
At 4:08am I finally got to bed feeling a bit at ease with the situation but still horrified at the Japanese footage and what they were just starting to endure. Thats the other thing that made me freak. Seeing the power of that Tsunami just completely devour the shore is an image I will soon not forget.
So here we are. Another Gorgeous day on Kauai with not a thing wrong. NOTHING is damaged. Everyone is safe. Even the idiots who went right up to the water front made it out without a scratch. God was here last night. His hand of protection was upon us. Every little shoreline business here hangs by a string anyways and something like this would have been devastating to say the least.
My heart is heavy for the Japanese people who have been tortured through not only earthquake after earthquake, but have been overtaken by the sea and covered in filth. God be with them in this time. I just cannot imagine.



No comments:
Post a Comment