
So many of you mainland friends out there are probably wondering why I am even stepping foot into a thrift store. Let me explain.
For those of you shoppers who have lived on a tiny island, forgive me. To the rest of you, be very grateful for your Tj Maxx and Marshalls.
When we moved here I wasn't too worried about not having shopping outlets and chain restaurants. It was actually a nice change from all the hustle and bussle. After about 6 months I started noticing that really all there is to do for a housewife is to go out shopping! That was/is my only "me" time! So naturally choosing between Costco, K Mart, Walmart and Macy's gets a bit tiresome and BORING! Granted Jeans warehouse has been getting better stuff in hahaa.....
So here I am, with a HUGE void that cannot be filled by the stock numbered items or blue light specials.
Before I readily admit my thrift store obsession, let me preface by sharing a bit about the thrift stores here on Kauai and how they are SO SO different from Salvation army on Tustin avenue!
The wonderful people of Kauai/Hawaii are a cultural bunch set in their ways. They are a special people made up of artisans, seamstresses but are lacking in decorators and design specialists. Basically Kauai is completely stuck in the 80's. Happily.
Don't tell the aunty at the register that the tea cup is ugly because she will likely give you the stink eye, or tell them you are going to cut up a dictionary for a really cute garland idea...they just wont get it.
When you walk in, there are endless possibilities. The stuff that Hawaiians see as junk really is NOT! This stuff would go in a california second at the thrift stores in OC!
So theres a little insight to my obsession with filling my shopping void at the thrift stores!~
Installment One
DRESSES!
I LOVE dresses! I think they are so feminine and versatile! My favorite reason is that you don't even have to think about pairing a top with bottoms and coordinating with shoes...(since you take them off at the door here anyway)
Here are Some amazing dresses I have found. All have been washed...twice. haha...
The first is a vintage Koi fish patterned hand made dress. That is perhaps my most favorite thing. Some little Aunty made this dress by hand. The thrift stores are FILLED with handmade dresses and those really cute morning robes like Lucille Ball used to wear in the mornings!
For a cool $4

The next is a great find from the Thrift store that supports the Animal Shelter! I love supporting the pets of Kauai while shopping!
It is actually a super duper expensive dress ($148) by Young People. Its so cute and I love the eclectic comfortable feeling this dress brings to the table!
This was an awful $5.50

Finally there is this sweet pea dress that I found at habitat for humanity. It is also hand made.

Isn't that so sweet! I love it.
So theres my little installment of Vintage infused Thrift Store fashion!
Stay tuned for tomorrows installment that will cover the Accessories! You'd Don't want to miss it!



hey you were wearing that koi one at church!!! all of your finds so far are so cute!
ReplyDeleteCute! I just found the cutest Free People top at TJ's for $30...normally $120 at Nordies! We love ourselves a good deal!
ReplyDelete