Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Most Overwhelming, Wonderous Week of our lives!





Eight days ago Evan and I walked into the St. Joseph's Lobby not knowing what to expect. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday were 4 days of torture and exhaustion. Thursday night was one of the most trying nights of my life. I have never relied on God more than that night. That morning I had woken up with my eyes swollen shut. My nurse brought in the scale to see how my fluid retention was going. I had gained 6 lbs. over-night. Can you even imagine gaining 6 POUNDS in one night??? I had NO idea that this was why my Doctor had taken my condition so seriously. He knew how bad things could and would get. I was drinking my 4000 ML of water a day and only eliminating about 500. Thursday night was terrifying. I could not breathe. They sent me for a chest X Ray but there was nothing. Turns out the bag of fluid around the liver was getting so expanded that I was being suffocated! I sat in my hospital bed in extreme pain for 12 hours, crying out to God. I was literally crying out for help. SO SCARY! The nurse was an idiot and did know what to do so she just kinda watched. She informed me that they had moved the C Section up from 330 to 10 AM. I am telling you that if they would have waited till 330, something bad would have happened. I started having contractions which made the epi-gastric pain even more unbearable. On top of everything else that night/morning, AN IDIOT of a phlebotomist came in to draw MORE blood. He came in about 6 AM and started trying to make small talk about the flowers that were in my room. He was a complete nerd and thought it would be nice to ask my opinion on dating and the role flowers played. Lets just say I was not in the mood for pleasantries and informed him that if he wanted a grocery store carnation girlfriend, that that was fine with me.




We got to delivery time FINALLY and things started moving right along. They had to give me more BP meds in order to operate. At that time I was at 200 over 140 or so. they had to bring it down to 160 over 100. The epidural was a breeze. Ive had cortizone shots that hurt worse than that. My anesthesiologist was an Awesome Irish guy who was EXCELLENT! It was quite the feeling to not feel anything haha. I had a catheter put in which would prove to be a God send! It was just a little embarrassing to be spread eagle with all of these nurses (male and female) walking around!


Evan was brought in at about 1040AM. He looked so cute in his OR garb. At this point I was shaking violently and uncontrollably from the epidural/morphine. Poor guy was so scared! I heard the nurse announce start time at 1049 AM. At 1051 Dr. Linzey said,


"We have clear fluid"...I knew that they were in.

"There's Jackson's Butt, There's Jackson"





Our little boy was born. They moved him to the isolette to clean him up. I could see him to the left of me. I just started balling. His little cry was loud and strong. It was so beautiful. All of the nursing staff were giving me the thumbs up. Evan went over to cut the cord. He tried hard to not cry, but i caught him wiping away the tears. He was here and he was so tiny but so strong. Ill never forget when they brought him over to me. He was crying but as soon as he heard my voice he stopped and tried opening his eyes. My heart melted and is something I will NEVER forget for the rest of my life. The rest of the surgery went by very fast as I couldnt keep my eyes off of my new little guy. I was shaking so bad that by the end of the surgery I had thrown my neck out and a day later, felt like I had done a million hours of neck and shoulder weight exercises! Phew!


Recovery room was great. The drugs had not even begun to wear off so I had no pain. The next 48 hours left a lot to be desired in that area haha. Although, this whole C Section thing was NOTHING compared to my knee surgeries! Saturday I got up and started moving around. It was also the first time I got to go and see my son. I stayed in the NICU for 5 hours straight sitting in a rocking chair. This was WAY too much for the first time up. My Preeclampsia had not yet begun going away so I BLEW UP and was in an EXTREME amount of pain. That scared the heck out of Evan and I, so we decided that I was not allowed to spend more than a couple hours in the NICU. So sad for this mommy, but I have such confidence in the team there that I know I have the freedom to recover fully myself so that when Jackson comes home, I can take care of him.

Well, thats pretty much the story of his delivery. I have a lot of other stories to write about, so I will get there soon! Here is just a quick list of things that have gone on and I will go into detail very soon about!

* Jackson's little fight against a Staph infection. SCARY!
* Evan's AMAZING job finalization and more concrete plans for Kauai
* My extreme underestimation of my struggle with Preeclampsia and emotional trials in recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment